My journey to India. Feelings, photos and short stories on acute topics in my life. Since September 1st 2005 I've studied in Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC). The blog is to keep in touch and share my life with people who care and whom I love.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Day 3: Upper/middle-class India pt.2

22:00 In the "Tantra" - a downtown disco with American (bad) music, from middle to upper-class people and European price-level. We meet a team of five European medical students who're taking a night out from their clinic. Helene from Norway completes our Nordic team.

Indian disco-etiquette differs greatly from that in Europe. The first problem we encountered at the entrance because we were not even boy-girl pairs. Our Indian friends managed to talk us in and we went through the security check. Inside the club we were told that we can't dance without the girls. So for example me dancing with Anssi or Tommi would've been considered inappropriate. Very strange :-)

The evening was nice, but I'm not really a disco person and since the prices were quite high and the music terrible I decided to leave with Hanne and Aswath around 2 o'clock. The taxi-ride through the city is remarkably fast with no other traffic. In the streets people sleep without shelter or stare at the lonely Ambassador rushing through the city.

Oh yes, almost forgot. We saw a snake crossing the street in the campus. Probably a non-venomous one, said our Indian friends. Good to know, just in case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home