My journey to India. Feelings, photos and short stories on acute topics in my life. Since September 1st 2005 I've studied in Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC). The blog is to keep in touch and share my life with people who care and whom I love.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Day 2: Downtown

21:10 In a very fancy restaurant owned a famous Indian cricket-hero. We feel a bit underdressed, since we're (of course) in our casual-tolerate-the-heat-still-traveling-clothes. The food is excellent and a beer after a long day tastes great!

In the street we have an after-dinner-thing (spices rolled in a leaf) which tastes like mint and ice-creams. I give mine to the little boys begging around us. In downtown the beggars are everywhere, but still not as numerous that I would've expected. The advice "don't give money, buy some food, if you wish" might be worth it. The money seldom goes to help the one who it's given to and you just end up being requested for more. For a second I think they're greedy and show no gratitude, but end up feeling silly; it doesn't work quite like that.

Around midnight we're back in the campus witnessing something completely different; an IIMC-birthday tradition. The poor guy is beaten by everybody else, then covered with the cake and left sitting in the yard. Everybody seems to have fun, although I have doubts about the birthday hero himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home