My journey to India. Feelings, photos and short stories on acute topics in my life. Since September 1st 2005 I've studied in Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC). The blog is to keep in touch and share my life with people who care and whom I love.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Day 3: Middle-class India

11:06 I finally wake up. It felt so good and I feel all but numb, which often would be the case after a long sleep. I meet the rest of the guys who'd later form up our little group; Johan, Michel and Bart from Belgium.

With Umashankar (U.S) we go downtown to Salt Lake City (a new fancy district) to a shopping center which could as well be from any European city with the fancy boutiques and nice cafés. This together with the shopping center we saw yesterday really change (or actually create) my picture of what modern India is. There is already a huge middle class in India, which can't be forgotten!

We also visit US's brother's home nearby in a nice neighbourhood. They are all brahmin-caste (priests, though not practicing ones) and very nice. We spend some time planning our travelings together and watch some cricket, which is by far the most popular sport in India. The cricket-heros are just as worshipped as European footballers!

There are many possible and common misunderstandings what comes to modern India. I feel like even living here is studying, not to even mention the classes at the Institute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home