My journey to India. Feelings, photos and short stories on acute topics in my life. Since September 1st 2005 I've studied in Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC). The blog is to keep in touch and share my life with people who care and whom I love.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Going home

Sitting in an small Internet-outlet in New Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. I got the early morning Jeep taxi from Singhik to Mangan (15min), jeep to Gangtok (3hrs) and to Siliguri (4hrs) and an autorickshaw to New Jalpaiguri (20min). Next step will be the train, Kanchyan Kanya express, to Kolkata (12,5hrs).
I was REALLY lucky to get the train ticket only four hours in advance; luck and licking, I would say. The other option would've been 12-16hrs in a "Disco-bus", which then again is not so attractive, if you don't happen to LOVE hindi-pop. But in one hour I will board my nice and hard sleeping place in a crowded, but comfortable train!

New Jalpaiguri is one of those "towns" that exist for being a junction. It's the end stop of railway to the north and gateway to Sikkim, Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Nepal, Bhutan and the Indian Northeastern states. Thus, it's not all that attractive, whatsoever...
It has this semi-sleazy trucker stop attitude with dozens of identical (including the menu) small eateries, vendors, beggars, and probably prostitutes, who btw are not very visible in India, although very much existing. The unholy relationship of truckers and hookers contribute sadly to worsening HIV-situation in India.

However, I had a breakfast/luch/dinner date with Michael Palin and got too fascinated by the high mountains again. We had some discussions with Arun, our great mountain guide about some small scale climbing trip to Himachal Pradesh in November; maybe I have to give it a second thought...

The biggest reason I decided to leave today was instict. In the morning I just boarded the first transport there was with an idea to travel either to Kalimpong, Bhutan or back home. Since it's been raining heavily in the whole state for the whole day (in Cal actually for four days, said Robert) I decided to go home. (Into the rain, why?)

I really felt good about my decision and actually am looking forward to get back to my room now. It's a great feeling of freedom in traveling like thisl I'm free to go anywhere - including home.

Thus, my next postings will be from the campus. Also, changed back to my Indian mobile; +91-9831-555906

PS: Congratulations to TuKY (Students' union of Turku School of Economics and Business Administration) for the past 55 years! I hate to miss the party, especially because of missing the singing with Mercanto and Cantus Mercurialis and also receiving some compliments... ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home